Tuesday, January 25, 2011

putting us first

On days like today, when work and personal life are stressful and hectic, it's easy for me to forget to take as good care of myself as I should. Drink enough water, take enough breaks to get up and walk around (I sit all day at work), eat enough, etc.

I think part of it is just going in to auto pilot a bit. As I'm in to my second trimester, I do have a TINY bit more energy than I did in my first. So, sometimes during the day, if things are crazy, I can forget for a minute that I'm pregnant. I mean, I don't forget so completely that I start doing tequila shooters or anything; I just stop taking great care of myself. This doesn't happen that often, but today was one of those days.

At the end of the day, I realized I hadn't had enough water. And it made me stop and realize I just need to always put myself and my two little passengers first. I need to realize that it's going to be the last time in my life for quite a while where I have the luxury to do so. Not to mention, it's for a very important reason; the health and well-being of myself, as a pregnant woman carrying twins, and of course for the twins themselves.

So tonight, since I'm tired- instead of going home and cooking dinner- I'm ordering in (from a very healthy place just down the road). I'm going to drink lots of water. I'm going to do some tidying in our bedroom; not because I should, but because it will make me feel better. I'm going to put on my pajamas quite a bit earlier than usual, watch some TV and snuggle with my husband. Then I'll go to bed early and get a good night's sleep (well, except for the four or five times I wake up to pee). :)

Because right now, taking care of me needs to be my top priority.

~M

2 comments:

  1. Yup! Make sure you take care of yourself and those precious babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post and perspective. You are so right!

    ReplyDelete