Tuesday, January 11, 2011

2nd tri, babies!

It’s here! It’s finally here! Today is the first day of my second trimester! : ) I’m so very excited that we’ve made it to this point. It seemed to take forever, mostly because the risk of miscarriage drops quite a bit once you reach the second trimester. And that’s pretty darn exciting.

The second trimester is supposed to be where you get all this energy back and you feel fabulous again. I am really fortunate, because morning sickness was short lived for me. I had it for a couple of weeks, and then it was gone. My main symptom has been just complete and utter exhaustion. So, we’ll see if that lets up at all. I’ve read in many of my twin pregnancy books, that the symptoms don’t let up as much for a multiple pregnancy, so I might just continue to be tired. Oh, and also, I get up at least 5-6 times per night to pee, and in a single pregnancy they say that this lets up a little in the second tri, but again, since my uterus is growing faster since there are two babies in there, that symptom might not let up much either.

I also have been dealing quite a bit with the breathlessness thing that happens when you’re pregnant. Apparently you need more oxygen during pregnancy, and your body adapts to make this happen. An increase in progesterone, directly affects your lungs and stimulates the respiratory center in your brain. Basically, your body just wants to take deeper breaths. Also, apparently pregnancy, and especially a multiple pregnancy, is harder on your heart. So, recently when I’m going up the gigantic set of stairs by our apartment, I have to stop and take a break. I never used to have to do that before. Guess those babies really need their oxygen!

Also, thanks for the sweet comments yesterday. I really appreciate it, and I know in my rational mind that all that matters is that I’m healthy and my two little guys are healthy. But, the comments made me feel a lot better and snapped me back into reality as to what is really important.

I don’t have another ultrasound scheduled until the 28th! It’s POSSIBLE I’ll get one on the 25th at my OBGYN appointment, but maybe not. My last appointment, when I thought I’d get one, I only got to hear their heartbeats. Which is cool, don’t get me wrong. You see, it’s actually normal that you DON’T get an ultrasound with every appointment. I was spoiled and had gotten one with every appointment I’d had so far. I think I just did at first because of my previous miscarriage and because it was twins. But, now I think I won’t get one every time for a while. Which is hard! I really like seeing them, and it’s reassuring to see their heartbeats and how they are measuring. Though, in about 8 more weeks, I’ll be able to feel them kicking around, so that will be some reassurance too. : )

So, huzzah for second trimester! I’m ready! : )


~M

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 2nd Tri babies!!! Woot woot!
    Here is an example of a 'weekly pregnancy update'- you could of course tailor the questions to what you wish to track in your own pregnancy. It's fun & I think your readers would enjoy it too!
    Kristine
    ***************
    How Far Along:

    Total Weight Gained:

    Maternity Clothes:

    Stretch Marks:

    Sleep:

    Best Moment of the Week:

    Movement:

    Food Cravings: Mostly just breakfast foods of any kind.

    Gender:

    Belly Button:

    What I miss:

    What I'm looking forward to:

    Milestones:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous- Ok- I can do that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops- I see that I neglected to edit the "food cravings" answer here before posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wooo HOOOOO!!!! congrats! this is an awesome milestone. so exciting! yay for you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am excited and happy beyond words! Your long distance Mom feels more connected to you and even more a part of this amazing journey when I read your blog. You are simply an incredible woman, and you are doing such a good job of being a Mom even before these precious babies are born. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to you and Ian Mariah,I am so glad things are going so well. I can't wait to see your little ones. Take care and rest alot.
    Love,
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete