Thursday, April 21, 2011

a pre-babies “to do” list


Well, time is certainly starting to tick away quickly- I only have about 10 or 11 weeks until the big day! Of course they could come a bit earlier, but I’d prefer they stay in there and cook as long as they can.

In the meantime, I have a list I’m keeping of “things to do” before their arrival, and I thought I’d share it with you all. Because, other people’s lists! How fascinating, right? Anyway, here it is, in no particular order:

1. Talk to insurance company and get any and all info we need for hospital stay, adding babies to insurance, etc.

2. Take our classes! This is coming up soon, and I’m excited. We start our Childbirth class series on May 1st! This goes for 3 Sundays, and then we have breastfeeding and caring for a newborn in mid May.

3. Find a pediatrician. My OB has one that she’ll have us use in the hospital on the day, but still we need one for after that.

4. Do some spring cleaning. We need to deep clean the house a few more times (or perhaps hire someone to do it towards the end) before the babies arrive. I also want to do another “purge” of things we can give away to the Salvation Army.

5. Buy our cloth diapers and some wet bags. Yes, we do plan on cloth diapering. At the beginning, we’re going to do a mix of disposable and cloth, and slowly move towards just doing cloth as they get bigger/ we get better at it.

6. Wash all newborn clothes, crib sheet and mattress pads.

7. Stock up on food, toiletries, cat food & litter.

8. Test out breast pump and make sure I have all necessary parts. Wendy SO generously gave me hers, so I just need to take a look at it and make sure I understand how it works.

9. Purchase a few last minute items like a baby monitor. Mostly we have what we need though.

10. Line up a cat sitter.

11. Pack hospital bag.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some things, but this is the list as it stands! A lot of this isn’t doable for a few weeks, but it’s nice to see it all laid out in black and white.

Any of you moms have anything you think I should add to my list? Or just thoughts in general?

~M

*adorable list and picture found here

Vote For Us @ TopBaby Blogs! The Best Baby Blog Directory

5 comments:

  1. Are your classes geared towards multiples? Either way, you will have a lot of fun and get a lot of good information!

    I would add to your list to get yourself a few good nursing bras to get started with, if you haven't done so already! The nursing tank tops were awesome for me and might work well for you also, esp with summer time babies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have people who will bring you food after they are born so you won't have to cook? I had a friend use mealbaby.com and it was a great way for family/friends/co-workers to sign up and contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two cents from a new follower:

    If you are breastfeeding, make sure that you have plenty of nursing bras. They get "dirty" quickly and you'll go through them pretty fast. In the beginning I had to wear bikini tops because I didn't have enough to start with!

    Also make sure to stock up on lots of snack foods. The first few weeks you'll barely have time to shower, let alone eat so make sure you have things that you can grab easily. I have been eating my fair share of pretzels and rice cakes!

    For monitors, check out the Angelcare movement & sound monitor. It will give you total piece of mind once your baby starts sleeping in a different room. And you might want to consider getting an ItzBeen timer, it's fairly inexpensive and it helps you keep track of the last time the baby was changed, fed, taken a nap, etc.

    HTH :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about a meeting with a lactation consultant? I know there are things that you can be doing to get "ready" for dual nursing.
    Loving you, my very organized daughter! xox mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristi- No, the classes aren't geared towards multiples, unfortunately. Funny story about that here: http://www.asplendidendeavor.com/2011/03/pregnancy-brain.html

    Good call on nursing bras/tanks! I don't have any yet, so thanks! I think I'll just start out by buying a few nursing tanks, since I don't know what size nursing bra I'll need. As of now, my bra size hasn't changed at ALL, so, I'm assuming it will later on.

    Dayna- no, we don't have specific people designated for bringing us food, but my mom will be with us the first two weeks, and then after that, my mother-in-law, and I know they'll help out with this. Plus, I plan on making a coupld of lasagnas/casseroles to freeze to get us started. :)

    Beryl Lynn- welcome! :) Great idea about snacks. I plan on really stockpiling as many non-perishables as our tiny NYC kitchen will hold. :) And luckily, we have a grocery delivery service so we'll just be ordering our groceries to be sent directly to our door! I think that will be a big help.

    As for the Angelcare monitors; I saw those, but I don't know how they'd work, since the girls are sharing a crib at first. I'll totally check it out though. And yes- I got an ItzBeen timer from a friend at my shower, so, I'm excited to use that! I may get another one, so I can track each girl separately, but we'll see.

    Mom- well, we're taking a breastfeeding class this month, and I've been reading a book about it. Also, there are lactation consultants at the hospital that I'll meet with when I check in, so I think we're covered! :)

    ReplyDelete